Blog

Keep Your Pet Safe from These Holiday Plants

The holidays are in full swing. It’s important to realize that this time of year, some unique hazards are in play for our animal friends. Read on as your Dallas, GA vet tells you about some plant-related dangers that your pet might face this holiday season.

The Tree

Have you set up a holiday tree in your home this year? It presents several hazards to your animal friend. First, fir trees produce an oil that can irritate your pet’s mouth or stomach if swallowed, possibly even causing an episode of vomiting. Pine needles themselves can irritate your pet’s stomach or puncture the stomach lining in severe cases. Plus, the ornaments and lights adorning your tree are a choking hazard if your pet decides to play with them. Keep an eye on your pet to make sure they avoid the tree!

Poinsettias

The leaves of the poinsettia plant contain a sap that can irritate your pet’s mouth, throat, and stomach, and if enough is ingested, excessive drooling or vomiting can result. While your pet would have to ingest a lot of a poinsettia to actually experience anything harmful, it’s not worth the risk. A poinsettia plant could also be treated with pesticides or fertilizers that you don’t want your four-legged friend ingesting.

Holly and Mistletoe

Did you know that mistletoe and holly, very common around the holidays, aren’t good for pets? The plant’s leaves and stems, as well as the berries, contain toxins that can cause a pet to experience upset stomach, abdominal pain, low blood pressure, vomiting, and diarrhea. If your pet manages to eat enough of a holly or mistletoe plant, coma or death could occur! While this isn’t exactly likely, it’s important that you keep your pet’s prying paws away from holly and mistletoe.

Lilies

Lilies are common in bouquets and floral gift packages around the holidays. Were you aware that they’re one of the most dangerous flowers for pets? Various species of lilies are harmful to our feline friends, and they might be dangerous to dogs as well. Symptoms include lethargy, loss of appetite, dehydration, vomiting and diarrhea, and seizures or worse. Don’t let your pet get anywhere near that holiday flower arrangement.

Keep your Dallas, GA veterinary clinic’s phone number on hand to call in case of a poisoning emergency. And feel free to check with the hospital to learn about other harmful plants and flowers!

Comments are closed.